Search This Blog

28 Dec 2020

Jenning Up (again)

Something made me this morning take a second look at my Sarah Hunter 1782 who married twice and moved away from Redruth. Big discovery at the time but really wanted to pin down her daughter Mary (1806) who also married twice - did she go to Canada or Australia? No further did I get. Took me about 30 minutes to put down my work.

OK - James Rodda born 1799, did he die in infancy or age 34. Quickly put that down as well. Time for another Cornish family.

Next up then, the Jennings family, where we had a bit more luck. Having untangled them a few years back, I wanted to soak up the success and find some DNA matches on Ancestry. I went in search of surnames which were good enough to seach on - Kemp, Opie/Oppy, Tozer, I was getting nothing. I was crying Foul! as these guys definitely emigrated and someone should match my line, someone....

(A brief interlude to explain ancestor Ann Jennings married her beau Francis Harris three weeks before Trafalgar, ONLY problem is he witnessed marriages of two ladies named Elizabeth Jennings in double-quick time thereafter ... only ONE of whom was his wife's sister, what a boggler.)

Back to business. So I examined the tree again. Looking into the next generation I saw that my Elizabeth Jennings 1786 had a granddaughter that married into the Knuckey family - let's plug that name into the search bar on my DNA page. Hello, what's this, the wrong Knuckey chap, but Benjamin Knuckey married in 1858 NSW to Esther J. JENNINGS. Turns out she is a niece of Elizabeth who I omitted from my Untangled Tree diagram. So their descendant, Christine can be tied in as my 5th/6th cousin with 10 centimorgan match.

Wham - just sorted that out, and big surprise number two came knocking. Something's up, Jenning up. IF Christine is a cousin then WHO is cousin Frank strolling in at 33 centimorgans which is arguably more? And absolutely definitely and truthfully who on EARTH is his forebear, just sitting there on the page, Mary Ann Harris born 1818 in Camborne?? To boot, her father is named as Francis??

SURE ENOUGH, I had ignored Mary Ann Harris baptised 23 February 1817 in Crowan, daughter of Francis and 'Hannah' (really seemingly Ann). She gets married nowhere near, I'd never looked for or given her a minute's thought and she turns out to be one of my closest relatives. Eeks!

Thanks to Christine in Oz and cousin Frank (still in Cornwall!) for doing the DNA test and giving me some embarrassing successes this morning. I was so normalised to the idea that Cornish DNA work was impossible, but frankly with 33 centimorgans matching, I am well pleased to add these folk onto the tree.

(But very embarrassing to note that Mary Ann Harris's husband has been on my files for FOUR years as the informant on her father's death certificate, 1855, which lead I had completely ignored!)

The tree which I was so proud of, that resolved the Jennings or at least bits of it is here:

Epic Epilogue. These things come in threes, right? Nosing around one more time on Ann Perry who marries 1780 in Crowan. Who is she? I rule out both the suitable baptisms in Wendron, ironically as we shall see.

Ann Perry baptised 1759 Wendron daughter of William and Jane marries I am comfortable in saying to William Symons at Constantine the next parish over, and there she stays. Naming pattern fits and there are suitable burials yet to be pinpointed for her.

Ann Perry baptised 1760 Wendron daughter of Bennet and Elizabeth marries in 1790 in that parish, relatively late to Sam Prisk and a suitable burial is found: sure enough her children include several named for her parents.

WELL, I promised you an epic epilogue, so what is going on. I examined the witnesses at the 1780 wedding of my Ann Perry (to Mr Jennings) one more time. Henry Odger is an old-timer, attending all the weddings he can, perhaps he's the parish clerk. Thomas Rogers however, who marks his mark (X), is no such man. In fact he doesn't do that much in Crowan at ALL.

Forgive me then for taking a deep and personal interest in the above event which just landed on my screen. For the cost of a click, I am seeing what I would describe as a Very Interesting Entry. My brain and my mouse are competing with each other. Not sure which one wins, but Thomas Rogers is of course..... a stepfather! I barely need the additional WHOMPH of evidence which is that he was a 'tinner at Crowan' upon his marriage, AND that Dunnet was a widow. Double whammy.

Work is ongoing (as they say on the nation's roads) to do more digging. No baptism is found for Ann, but that's no worries. ERRRR, actually, yes there is! Far be it from me to judge, but I smelt a big old rat. Of course Ann Perry is not the child of the second marriage to ROGERS, but NOR is she the child of the first marriage to PERRY! This is becoming the best mystery Agatha Christie didn't write. Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you the baptism of Ann Perry, who marries at Crowan in 1780... (and the common ancestor of all the above DNA matches)

HMM except there IS a baptism of Ann Perry 17 May 1761 Wendron after all (child of John and Dunnet), on the Bishop's Transcripts, so looks like the 1753 baptism is an earlier child (who maybe died young or maybe married in 1781 in Phillack). Dunnet, by the way, allegedly dies at age 96.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Your comment will be live once moderated. Sorry you have to log in. Not my choice. Tweet if preferred @fh_data_project