Search This Blog

30 Dec 2020

Pass me the Tabasco: the Pascoes and Iveys of Crowan

Obviously we needed a silly title, but I really did need that Tabasco sauce. I was poking around looking for clues I'd missed on my Ancestry DNA list of matches. We'd cracked a few high level ones, including Mick Hofna*, who I'm convinced is not related at all simply entered his name for a female friend (as they both joined social media the same day). That one was a bit of a run-around.

Yesterday we had gpagmaw which took me slightly longer to figure out. Or was it slightly less? gpagmaw is 'of course' Grandpa and Grandma W. Luckily they had a slightly similar version of this nickname as a Pinterest handle which listed their full names right next to it of Mr and Mrs W..... of some place north of Chicago. It was Grandma W. who was the connection, her husband was pure Polish stock, while her mother's obituary named her and then scouting through the various family lines. Nope, nope and nope, till we got to, ah-ha! Sarah Pascoe (born 1822 in Crowan Cornwall) and her husband Richard Ivey, emigrating to Wisconsin. Thank you very much.

Let me just say that gpagmaw had NO TREE, had not signed in forever, and no clue on the Ancestry page as to where she was based, excepting that she had 20%+ Norwegian forebears which does kind of scream midwest. Midwest = interesting = could she be Cornish? = yes!

American DNA matches with only a hint of the county in question in their ancestry are just my favourite. Most of Gma W's line are anything-but-Cornish (ABC), and of course how do I now For Sure that we connect this way?

Well, running through other folk on Ancestry who have Iveys from Wisconsin in their midst we find three other descendants of the Richard Ivey and Sarah Pascoe by two of their children, and guess what, they share matches with me and Gma W. Importantly, they too have no other known Cornish ancestry. I think that's good working proof for now, till we roll out the chromosome browser at some future date. I could be using DNAGedcom to have 'added' those other matches of Gma W. to the story but that would have taken just as long and - sometimes the less technical assistance the better.

We have our story. Now it's time to reveal that I have Pascoe ancestry in Crowan. (And no Iveys at all.) Elizabeth Pascoe marries in 1795 in Crowan and ...

... in the time it takes to tell the story, the dial has moved. I do not in fact have any Pascoe ancestry in Crowan. (Sarah Pascoe later Ivey, your story might take a little longer to come out.) Here is the census entry which changed everything, leading me to discoveries which fail to link Elizabeth to James (and his daughter in Wisconsin).

1841 Bennertown, Crowan: Elizabeth Rodda 69 minor, Elizabeth Rodda 20

For years I must have ignored this entry, with so much that doesn't fit the family tree, particularly if not entirely that young Elizabeth is thirty rather than twenty. But wiping away that blemish, THIS is my Elizabeth Pascoe, wife of William Rodda, and I can prove it. (Next blog relates an astonishing set of connections from before she was born...)

My carefully crafted Pascoes of Crowan guesswork crumbles away to nothing. Crowan, formerly Eglos-krowenn, I am leaving you behind in the rear-view mirror for now. It's time to go back, further back, to Wendron, half as big again, which where we need to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Your comment will be live once moderated. Sorry you have to log in. Not my choice. Tweet if preferred @fh_data_project